What is the eco tax?
Eco Tax or otherwise Enviromental / Tourism Tax is nothing more than a tax. It is a tax that every tourist (and even a resident) has to pay to go to Balearic holidays. The price depends on the place where you spend the night. From star rating, type of board, number of people and length of stay. This tax goes entirely to the government, which uses it in the right way.
You have been in Majorca before and You havent’t had to pay eco tax??
No wonder, because the law on climate tax came into force only on holiday 2016. Since then, the tax has only increased. Currently, the maximum tax is 4 euros per person per night. After 8 days of staying in one hotel, the price drops by 50%. Additionally, in the low season, from November 1 to April 30, prices are lower.
Eco Tax – where the money goes?
The government spends money on several main reasons:
- Environmental protection and care
- Sustainability of tourism that pays particular attention to its development in spring, autumn and winter.
- Protection and conservation of cultural and historical heritage
- Scientific research to combat the effects of climate change, with an emphasis on tourism
- Training and employment with an emphasis on off-season employment, improving qualifications and improving working conditions
What do I think about eco tax?
Now a few words from me. The reasons mentioned above could not be more accurate and needed in Mallorca. The development of tourism in the low season will give people a job. It would change a lot. In addition, we know very well that tourists do not affect Majorca’s appearance well. Tourists do a lot of damage, very dirty and destroy. Of course, not everyone. However, the differences can be seen with your own eyes, year after year. Therefore, in my opinion, the fact that every tourist must pay such a tax is a perfect idea. Then each of us takes on some responsibility for what he leaves around him. This will not change the behavior of some people, but it will certainly give you the opportunity to repair damage caused by tourists. At least in a percentage.
Eco tax – what are prices and what they depends on?
The prices depend on several factors. We will start by distinguishing the amount of tax in places with self-catering.
Low season: 1 May – 30 October(price per person per day)
- Villa – 4euro (up to 8 days), 2 euro (after 8 day)
- Touristic Apartment Superior (4 people) – 4 euro, 2 euro
- Touristic Apartment (4 people) – 4 euro, 2 euro
- Touristic Apartment Superior (3 people) – 3 euro, 1,50 euro
- Touristic Apartment (3 people) – 2 euro, 1 euro
- TouristicApartment (2 people) – 2 euro,1 euro
- Touristic Apartment (1 person) – 2 euro, 1 euro
- Room (Internal tourism accommodation) – 2 euro, 1 euro
- Touristic property – 2 euro, 1 euro
Low season: 1 November – 30 March (price per person per day)
- Villa – 0,50 euro (up to 8 days), 0,25 euro (after 8 day)
- Touristic Apartment Superior (4 people) – 0,50 euro, 0,25 euro
- Touristic Apartment (4 people) – 0,50 euro, 0,25 euro
- Touristic Apartment Superior (3 people) – 0,38 euro, 0,19 euro
- Touristic Apartment (3 people) – 0,25 euro, 0,13 euro
- Touristic Apartment (2 people) – 0,25 euro, 0,13 euro
- Touristic Apartment (1 person) – 0,25 euro, 0,13 euro
- Room (Internal tourism accommodation) – 0,25 euro, 0,13 euro
- Touristic property – 0,25 euro, 0,13 euro
Tax prices for acommodation with catering:
And now the price of tax for accommodation with food. It does not matter if it’s breakfast or half-board or all-inclusive, or just breakfast. The tax is calculated for the object that has any food in its offer.
- 5 stars, hotel superior – 4 euro (up to 8 days), 2 euro (after 8 day)
- 5 stars, hotel or aparthotel – 4 euro, 2 euro
- 4 stars, hotel superior – 4 euro, 2 euro
- 4 stars, hotel or aparthotel – 3 euro, 1,50 euro
- 3 stars, hotel superior – 3 euro, 1,50 euro
- 3 stars, hotel or aparthotel – 2 euro, 1 euro
- 2 stars, hotel or aparthotel – 2 euro, 1 euro
- 1 star, hotel or aparthotel – 2 euro, 1 euro
- Hostel, cottage hotel – 2 euro, 1 euro
- 5 stars, hotel superior – 0,50 euro (up to 8 days), 20,25 euro (after 8 day)
- 5 stars, hotel or aparthotel – 0,50 euro, 0,25 euro
- 4 stars, hotel superior – 0,50 euro, 0,25 euro
- 4 stars, hotel or aparthotel – 0,38 euro, 0,19 euro
- 3 stars, hotel superior – 0,38 euro, 0,19 euro
- 3 stars, hotel or aparthotel – 0,25 euro, 0,13 euro
- 2 stars, hotel or aparthotel – 0,25 euro, 0,13 euro
- 1 star, hotel or aparthotel – 0,25 euro, 0,13 euro
- Hostel, cottage hotel – 0,25 euro, 0,13 euro
Children under 16 do not pay a climate tax. It is also not paid by people who come to the island for health reasons or to help in the event of a disaster or in the event of special conditions. However, they must complete a special form and have a doctor’s certificate.
When do You need to pay Eco tax and why isn’t it included in acommodation price?
The tax is usually paid on the first day of your stay or when you pick up your passport from the reception. Passports are sometimes collected at check-in, for the purpose of scanning passports and filling out forms for the protection of personal data. In fact, the hotel has no right to keep your identity provocations. Usually he does it because a lot of guests come to the hotel on a given day, and it takes a few minutes to scan one passport / ID, along with filling in the documentation.
If 20 people come to the hotel at the same time, each person has to wait in line for about 10 minutes. In my opinion, it’s better to simply hand over your passport for one night and pick it up without making any problems in the morning. The tax is not included in the price of the accommodation, because it should be settled with the government. When paying the tax, we should get a copy of the payment confirmation and the hotel should take the original. Then the hotel settles with these receipts, with the government.
Do hotel has a right to ask You for scan of Your ID or Passport?
Yes. Especially if you make a reservation over the internet. This does not happen every time, but it happens often. One of such cases is a hotel without reception. There is no reception – there is no person who will scan your ID card or passport. That is why you have to send them a scan of the document and usually confirm reading the hotel regulations and allow the processing of personal data, due to the protection of personal data.
What if You do not want to pay the tax or don’t want to giveaway Your passport?
If you do not provide your ID, you will not be registered at the hotel. It means one, you do not have accommodation. If you do not sign a document allowing the processing of your personal data by the hotel and refuse to pay for the tax – the police are called. Why? Because it is legally imposed by the government, and the government does not refuse. You break the law.
I hope that I have helped you to get a bit of an understanding of the climate tax in Majorca, and although I have lightly clarified the subject of scanning / returning passports and identity cards. If you are interested in living in Majorca, I invite you to my facebook. It is on him that I most often express myself on such topics. Link here: https://www.facebook.com/VacayModeCom/ I am also inviting you to visit my instagram, there you will find a lot of photos and reports from the most beautiful places in Mallorca. Link here: https://www.instagram.com/vacaymodecom/